Author Topic: TV Digital Converter Box - No Signal - Any Ideas?  (Read 10217 times)

michaelintp

TV Digital Converter Box - No Signal - Any Ideas?
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:47:48 pm »
I just got my Digital TV Converter boxes, set 'em up and ... NO SIGNAL.  A friend told me that with older houses in areas with trees, an indoor antenna sometimes does not do the trick (I've got a Terk indoor antennae on one TV and rabbit ears/UHF coil on the second).  The antennas work OK for analog reception (kinda fuzzy but OK) but they pick up NO digital signal, apparently.  I don't watch TV much at all, but my youngest son watches sports sometimes.  Only TV show I care about on free broadcast TV is Heroes, and I can see that on my computer.

Any ideas other than "get cable" or "get DirectTV" (don't want to) or "put an antennae on your roof" (a real pain and besides I would probably mess it up, haha).  Maybe those are the only options I've got, though.  Arghhhh.

Any super-duper indoor antennae you know of?

If I must install an outdoor antennae, any suggestions there?

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
Re: TV Digital Converter Box - No Signal - Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »
I just got my Digital TV Converter boxes, set 'em up and ... NO SIGNAL.  A friend told me that with older houses in areas with trees, an indoor antenna sometimes does not do the trick (I've got a Terk indoor antennae on one TV and rabbit ears/UHF coil on the second).  The antennas work OK for analog reception (kinda fuzzy but OK) but they pick up NO digital signal, apparently.  I don't watch TV much at all, but my youngest son watches sports sometimes.  Only TV show I care about on free broadcast TV is Heroes, and I can see that on my computer.

Any ideas other than "get cable" or "get DirectTV" (don't want to) or "put an antennae on your roof" (a real pain and besides I would probably mess it up, haha).  Maybe those are the only options I've got, though.  Arghhhh.

Any super-duper indoor antennae you know of?

If I must install an outdoor antennae, any suggestions there?

if you have tall trees surrounding your home it really does not matter what kind of antenna you have bcuz interference is caused by lack of terrain.  Your suggestion of having an antenna installed on your roof will work if this is not the case.  Another suggestion is to place a antenna in your attic (if accessible).  There are many indoor/outdoor antenna on the market which will pick up digital signal.  Here's a website I strongly reccommend for reference:  http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

All pay-tv companies used this website for reference.  If you have additional questions about this site or converter boxes (which brand did you buy?)  reply back and I can assist you as best as I can.  As a trainer for Dish Network I understand the challenges a lot of people are having regarding DTV.   

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:07:16 pm »
Mike I gotta asked you........

what is your reason for not paying for pay TV service (cable, Dish or direct-tv)?  How many TVs you have connected to converter boxes....2 correct?

If I was to tell you you can have 1 digital rcvr box (non-DVR or DVR...... your choice), channel programming package is considered family oriented and the family programming package cost is $19.95 mo (locals channels add $5) take a look at DISHFamily package and in the long run this could be a good choice for you and family.

Now you will pay more if you want to add international channel to your package, Israel channel(s).  The value is everything will be 100% digital signals to both TVs.

take a look at www.dishnetwork.com  (read DishFamily and International channels) for more information.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:32:56 pm »
holy sh*t mike, you still are operating on a DOS system, aren't you?  :P

michaelintp

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:33:43 pm »
I got a Tivax STB-T8 digital converter box.  I looked at the reviews and it got good reviews.

We do have a tall Eucalyptus tree in the backyard in the corner and there are some structures around.   Maybe they are blocking the signal.  Funny that the old analogue signal comes in OK.  My guess is that a roof antennae would work, since other than where that one tree is there would be an open shot at least to the west.

As to why I don't have cable or a satellite system ... well, when we moved to our present house in '88 I decided not to, because I was addicted to every stupid movie that HBO would show (back in the days when they only showed movies) ... every teen barf/boner joke movie or whatever.  So I just quit cold turkey.  I also go to these classes every night that really prevent me from watching much TV anyway (the little I do watch I do off my computer, on the crappy little streaming screen).  Also, haha, the big issue is that my wife and daughter are much opposed to TV watching in the house and I don't think I would ever get the green light from "the boss" to get a pay system of any sort.  Frankly, it may not be worth the fight to even have an antennae on the roof.  I had hoped that my indoor antennae would work OK.  As it is, my parent's old projection TV that I have develops this monster red line in the middle of it after it is on for awhile.  As you can see, I'm really in the stone age when it comes to TV, haha.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:34:38 pm »
mike, battlestar in 2 weeks, you need to get cable yo...

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
I got a Tivax STB-T8 digital converter box.  I looked at the reviews and it got good reviews.

We do have a tall Eucalyptus tree in the backyard in the corner and there are some structures around.   Maybe they are blocking the signal.  Funny that the old analogue signal comes in OK.  My guess is that a roof antennae would work, since other than where that one tree is there would be an open shot at least to the west.

As to why I don't have cable or a satellite system ... well, when we moved to our present house in '88 I decided not to, because I was addicted to every stupid movie that HBO would show (back in the days when they only showed movies) ... every teen barf/boner joke movie or whatever.  So I just quit cold turkey.  I also go to these classes every night that really prevent me from watching much TV anyway (the little I do watch I do off my computer, on the crappy little streaming screen).  Also, haha, the big issue is that my wife and daughter are much opposed to TV watching in the house and I don't think I would ever get the green light from "the boss" to get a pay system of any sort.  Frankly, it may not be worth the fight to even have an antennae on the roof.  I had hoped that my indoor antennae would work OK.  As it is, my parent's old projection TV that I have develops this monster red line in the middle of it after it is on for awhile.  As you can see, I'm really in the stone age when it comes to TV, haha.

get a compass and locate Azimuth direction of TV towers in your local broadcasting area from antennaweb.org.  Once you take the avg AZ degree reading of local broadcasting TV towers area, this will determine if the tree in your backyard is in the way or not and will determine if the towers are located east or west of your home.  Sometimes having an antenna installed at a different location as much as 3-10ft (at min) away from obstruction LOS could give you a clearer LOS (line of sight). 

No disrespect towards family decision on pay tv service, if after months of constant issues regarding signal lost with coverter boxes, you and family may need to discuss pay tv service.  Again there are program packages you can choose which you and family do not need to have the garbarge shows/programs.   

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:45:04 pm »
Mike, how do you connect up to the internet?  I only ask, because you can sneakily kill two birds with one stone.  If you order a cable modem, you'll get faster service than DSL and you'll get basic cable for free.  Just tell your wife you need the increased internet speed and enjoy your new cable TV.

michaelintp

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:47:02 pm »
Zulu, that's interesting.  Just checked it out, and the tree is irrelevant.  We live in West L.A. and the San Bernadino Mountains are to the east of us.  Almost all of the transmitters are 45 to 48 degrees from us -- almost exactly North-East, toward the mountains (where as I recall from when I was a kid the transmitters are).  There is a multi-story hotel down the street and one street over, but it is just about exactly due east, so the NE direction is not blocked; so too we have a big apt building down my street to more South East, so not in the way of NE.  The houses across the street, two story, would block line of site from NE direction from my ground level.  Not from my roof (as my house is kinda up on a hill from the houses across the street).

As an experiment, I moved our little TV up to the second floor and see if my old indoor antenae gets reception there.  Still no luck using both the rabbit ears and the Terk antenae.  It seems that digital signals are just more finicky than analogue for some reason, in terms of reception, and the digital signals from the NE/E direction are blocked.  In light of this, I'm wondering if even a roof antenna would work, though the chart on that website seems to say one would (might).  Maybe the big buildings around us are the source of the problem, though, as you suspected.

... Hmmmm ... I would like to get the Sci-Fi Channel and BET though ... Sounds like satelite and/or cable are my only options.  Sheesh.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:50:22 pm by michaelintp »

michaelintp

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 07:54:09 pm »
Mike, how do you connect up to the internet?  I only ask, because you can sneakily kill two birds with one stone.  If you order a cable modem, you'll get faster service than DSL and you'll get basic cable for free.  Just tell your wife you need the increased internet speed and enjoy your new cable TV.

Catch, that might be an idea.  My son who lives up north just told me about how he's getting cable and internet at a price the same/or cheaper than what I'm paying for DSL.  Maybe that's an approach worth trying.  Ummm ... maybe.  Though my wife's pretty smart ... I'm sure she'll quickly see past that ploy.  Urg. 

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 08:10:47 pm »
An Idea: Are you using powered antennas, Mike? That might make a difference, Other than that, the only thing i could suggest is getting a roof antenna.

I've had my DTV boxes for little about 2 weeks (getting cable run into my apartment would be problematic for me and my windows face the wrong way for a dish). I'm pretty satified with it but with digital signals its either all or nothing, a great picture or no picture at all.

Aside from boxing, I don't even miss cable.

michaelintp

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »
Yep, not powered.  Though from what Zulu says, I bet it is that big hotel east of us, that is blocking the line of site to the mountains (kinda). 

Problem is, in our religious community, TV is considered a bad thing, because of the schmootz that even the broadcast stations now show.  Just two nights ago a mother called and asked if we have a TV because she was concerned that her son was coming over to our house and watching TV.  My wife had to tell her that our TV is not hooked up to cable etc ... (though actually with the rabbit ears my son and his pals do watch football games now and again, but don't tell anyone).  Oh my ...  it looks like by next month that will be that.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:22 am »
wow?
the evil tv.
and rabbit ears.

well, if you aren't stoned by your community, get the cable modem and sneakily 2 kill birds with one stone....well, that would be the stone that just missed hittin' your skull.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 10:27:53 am »
OK lets go down the list…

First off the easy stuff..

Did you do a retune or re auto tune your TV? In other words you have to auto store the new digital channels. Also make sure its set to ANT and Not Cable or CCTV for the tuning.

If that’s not it then lets move on.. What cable are you using to connect the Ant to the box and the box to the TV. Older RG-59 cable is not suitable for Dig TV, you need RG-6 quad shielded.. even if its only a few feet.

And so we keep going…

What the bad reception looks like on the analog can tell you what the problem is.. Snow is caused by a weak signal or poor antenna system, Ghosting is caused from the signal arriving from two or more places, its caused by buildings, trees, and hills which reflect the signal. For indoor antennas even people walking in the room can cause reflective ghost signals.. If you have to use an indoor than goat with the best.. like a Zenith HDTVIZ. Otherwise outdoor antennas will ALWAYS give a better signal than indoor.. even attic antennas work better although again outdoor is best. If its Snow on the analog then a amplifier or booster may do the trick for both analog and digital, however if its ghosting on analog and/or pixilation on the digital then an amplifier won’t help, you getting multi path or a bouncing of the signal.. you need a directional antenna and then point it in the right direction..

Lastly antenna upgrades can cost quite a bit these days,, all said a “DEEP fringe or High gain antenna combined with a staff mount, correct grounding wiring, new RG-6 cabling, a booster and/or distribution amp all add up to a bill of around $500-$800 including labor for a tech to do it right. Basic cable or Sat is around $25-$35 a month.. Do the math, getting basic programming from a provider is probably the best route to go. NO need to get HBO, Cinamax or the other channels that double or triple your bill.. just get the basic package and tell them that’s all you want… and maybe again say.. THAT’S ALL I WANT!!  Its not that expensive and all your reception issues are gone.

Online KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »
As to why you can get an analogue and you can't get a digital signal.  Digital won't allow a partial signal.  Analogue will allow a fuzzy image, but digital is all or nothing.